Thursday, November 22, 2007

Shannon Chau - Mary

Shannon Chau greets us in a polite and soft-spoken manner. She exudes courage and a persevering spirit as she tackles the 'O' levels alongside the many hours of rehearsals. Not only that, she impresses us during her audition with the complete lyrics of 'Your Will Be Done' memorized!

Tell us a little about yourself.

I am currently still a student - the only occupation I can have now. I like the colour blue very much and I also like shopping, my form of therapy. Contrary to many, I do enjoy studying.

Have you had past experiences in a musical or drama production?

I was in the choir from primary 1 to 3, then drama club from primary 4 to 6. I got to sing and act in school productions. I got to act in a Lasalle-sia production called "Aida" as well. All these ended as I joined a uniformed group in secondary school.

What made you want to get involved in this production?

I wanted to serve God somewhere and be more involved in church activities. There was a point in my life that I felt I should do something for God after I stopped serving for a year and a half. It was also due to the change of environment. I only joined BPMC in December 2005. This musical happened to come at that point of time so I was like "why not?" and gave it a shot.

Which is the most difficult moment you've encountered since the start of production?

Getting into character. Mary and I have totally different characters. I tried to emote Mary but it was difficult to imagine that you’re pregnant. You have to break the news to your fiancĂ© hoping he would understand and facing rejection, you are confused and unsure and fearful of what others will think of you but you have to do it as it is the Lord’s will... there is a lot going on around there. However, all is not lost as every rehearsal allows me to improve and think deeper.

What is the most memorable moment for you since the start of production?

I had to juggle studies and rehearsals due to my 'O' levels but I’m very grateful of the support given by the cast. Their prayers have been a great help to me and it is a joy working with them and watching them act out their characters. They bring laughter to life!

If you had the choice of playing the role of another character, who would it be and why?

Ah Beng! This character is hilarious and I like dealing with humour. I like being happy and that is what Ah Beng is: happy and free- spirited. Mary is not bad as well lah!

One quirky habit of yours:

I must read something everyday or I'll "itch"! This applies to me when I'm studying and I think I haven’t put in a lot of effort so I’ll keep on studying and studying until the "itch" is gone. I don’t know why...

It is no wonder this little lady memorizes her script within the second rehearsal! Kudos to you, Shannon!